Electric Filet knife?

Salmo_g

Legend
Forum Supporter
It's been a long time, but I went on a Westport charter boat with neighbors for lings and rockfish. We caught a ton. What impressed me most is watching the deckhand fillet the catch on the trip back in. I timed him when I realized how fast he could fillet and skin a fish. He averaged 20 seconds to fillet and skin many limits (10/angler) of black rockfish. I think an electric fillet knife would have just gotten in his way he was so good. We all tipped him generously.

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
Salmon too?
My friend I fished with fileted the salmon and cabezon from our Sunday trip with a standard blade. I wouldn't hesitate to use the electric on them though.

Pescaphile

Steelhead
I don't know what's going on, maybe this is an effect of the concussions I experienced during the fireworks at last night's Independence Day festivities, or I just need to get out more, but somehow thoughts of electric fillet knives keep conjuring up an image of a senior-aged retiree. He's from the midwest, named Merle and wears a polyester leisure jumpsuit (with integrated elastic belt with those twist together buckles). I see him with his wife, named Madge (I know because their names because they are embroidered on those jumpsuits), wearing ball caps and dark-tinted safety glasses stepping out of a Winnebago at the KOA campground, and they are ready to get to work on a whole mess of panfish . . .

gpt

Smolt
this really comes down to what you are filleting. i cut back bones on salmon because it if fast and easy. getting those bones out with backbone plyers is a simple task before carefully cuttings the remaining side ribs and flesh. rock fish,, i never cut back bones. and halibut, a parting knife is the trick here for fast easy fillets. big enough to separate the meat without touching bones or innards. choose your tools carefully and all of these jobs are easy and fast. by the way, you should expect to ripple any blade you are using so you should be straightening all your blades as you work along, this is quite different that putting new edges on blades.

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
I like that you clean fish right on your granite countertop kitchen island. 😸
Wife wasn't home :D typically I'd put down some plastic. But I just sealed them so they clean up fine.

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
Wife wasn't home :D typically I'd put down some plastic. But I just sealed them so they clean up fine.
I mean, isn’t one of the selling points of sealed granite is that it’s impervious to schmutz of all kinds and easy to clean?