Don’t Forget To Inspect Your Boat Trailer Bearings Regularly

HauntedByWaters

Life of the Party
78382789-0C14-494C-8E5D-B7376814C824.jpeg
Buddy just noticed this in his driveway with boat loaded. He thankfully lives near the boat launch so he didn’t take this on I5. Happened while trailer was parked at popular boat launch.

We are wondering how the hell that happened?

I never checked my trailer carefully after fishing but will now…

UPDATE: Looks like this was a case of poor maintenance and the bearings exploded. See later portion of thread.

Thanks to you all who helped figure this out and made it a learning experience for everybody. No boats were harmed.

Last edited:

Northern

Seeking SMB
Forum Supporter
Whoa! After having the lights & plate stolen off mine at a Seeps lake, I always check those...guess I need to give the wheels a good look, too. 🤬

Divad

Whitefish
Hub cracks are a maintenance situation, likely the bearings weren’t serviced and seized or became slop. Boat trailers specifically single axle drifts/toons see water intrusion a lot. We tend to fling them around willy nilly

HauntedByWaters

Life of the Party
Hub cracks are a maintenance situation, likely the bearings weren’t serviced and seized or became slop. Boat trailers specifically single axle drifts/toons see water intrusion a lot. We tend to fling them around willy nilly

Do you think it could have seized and slid and hit something while trailering? We are most baffled by the external wheel damage.

Old Man

Just a useless Old Man.
Forum Legend
I'm surprised that he didn't lose the wheel when he was traveling down the road. A sharp corner wouldn't of done it any good.

Divad

Whitefish
Do you think it could have seized and slid and hit something while trailering? We are most baffled by the external wheel damage.
For a second you had me zooming in wondering if the mud I saw was all impact dents lol. Boy that would of been confusing.

But bearing likely cracked and exploded. The cup/race sits inside that hub and the bearing in it. Go grab that spindle bet you can rock it around and there’s your artillery.

Divad

Whitefish
Exploded sounds cooler, it could of been not as dramatic. But a quick check from time on them is a good bet and try to avoid axle dunking always.

Also fairly easy to replace as a bonus. Hopefully the spindle didn’t see damage but they’re not too expensive either. If it’s just tooth damage you can file one or two no problem for a backyard fix.

HauntedByWaters

Life of the Party
For a second you had me zooming in wondering if the mud I saw was all impact dents lol. Boy that would of been confusing.

But bearing likely cracked and exploded. The cup/race sits inside that hub and the bearing in it. Go grab that spindle bet you can rock it around and there’s your artillery.
Oh ya I see it now! That is all grease. He had sent me the picture and I saw that as all damaged. I think you are right. Thank you for the explanation.

Divad

Whitefish
Oh ya I see it now! That is all grease. He had sent me the picture and I saw that as all damaged. I think you are right. Thank you for the explanation.
You call that grease!? Or wait that wasn’t from a muddy entry or exit launch!? 😁Well then yeah you definitely had water intrusion /old as frig, grease looks a little off

Edit: And again not too expensive of a fix. To be honest what @Old Man said is really the grace of God. This could of been catastrophic and deadly at speeds.

Old406Kid

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
It looks like the title should have been "Check your bearings before fishing":)
I was once told that you should take a little time after trailering at highway speeds to let the hubs cool a little before launching.
If they're warm some internal condensation can potentially develop over time.

kerrys

Ignored Member
I was once told that you should take a little time after trailering at highway speeds to let the hubs cool a little before launching.
I always check the hub temp after towing. If it’s hot there is something wrong.

I had an anti-theft device on the left rim of my trailer. It consisted of a piece that bolted onto the rim that you could attach a locking device that prevented the trailer from being able to roll. I never gave it a second thought until my wheel bearing exploded while heading to the launch. I believe the small part that bolted on using one of the lug nuts was enough to throw the wheel slightly out of balance and eventually causing the bearing to fail. Fortunately it happened in front of a Walmart and I was able to purchase a new bearing. Repaired the trailer and continued on to the launch.

HauntedByWaters

Life of the Party
You call that grease!? Or wait that wasn’t from a muddy entry or exit launch!? 😁Well then yeah you definitely had water intrusion /old as frig, grease looks a little off

Edit: And again not too expensive of a fix. To be honest what @Old Man said is really the grace of God. This could of been catastrophic and deadly at speeds.

Interesting. I have greased a lot of tractors and large machinery up and usually the grease was pretty dark coming out of the grease gun. My companies never bought that dyed grease I guess? Maybe I am colorblind?

Ya maybe change the name of the thread Mods?

SurfnFish

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
quite the neglected looking rim, spindle and hubs. Those rim scrapes happened when it was moving and scraping the hell out of something, repeatedly. Neglected routine service due to being close to the ramp?
On an older trailer often better to replace the entire axle/hubs/bearings assembly. Last one I did on a 16' drift boat trailer cost me $250 from Potter Webster, delivered to my driveway. Couple new tires and rims, riding as new for under $400. Rust never sleeps...

HauntedByWaters

Life of the Party
quite the neglected looking rim, spindle and hubs. Those rim scrapes happened when it was moving and scraping the hell out of something, repeatedly. Neglected routine service due to being close to the ramp?
On an older trailer often better to replace the entire axle/hubs/bearings assembly. Last one I did on a 16' drift boat trailer cost me $250 from Potter Webster, delivered to my driveway. Couple new tires and rims, riding as new for under $400. Rust never sleeps...

What rim scrapes are you talking about Sherlock?

CRO

Steelhead
even if you have bearing buddies and grease regularly, it is wise to jack up the axles and spin test the wheels. Worn bearings will give off a growling sound. You can also check for play in and out of the spindle by pushing and pulling the wheel as the tire is suspended. there shouldnt be any play.. may need to replace bearings or just tighten the axle nut. As a precaution check the hbs for temperature after trailoring. A long drive at over 70 mph can heat up those bearings especially if you have 8 or 10 inch rims.

Last edited:

Divad

Whitefish
even if you have bearing buddies and grease regularly, it is wise to jack up the axles and spin test the wheels. Worn bearings will give off a growling sound. You can also check for play in and out of the spindle by pushing and pulling the wheel as the tire is suspended. there shouldnt be any play.. may need to replace bearings or just tighten the axle nut. As a precaution check the hbs for temperature after trailoring. A long drive at over 70 mph can heat up those bearings especially if you have 8 or 10 inch rims.
Yup, I on occasion just lift one side up and throw a piece of wood under it real quick. Wiggle wiggle of the wheel to check and kick the wood back out while lifting it again.

Can be done with a jack but I’m not crawling under anywho and takes longer.

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
Forum Supporter
Yup, I on occasion just lift one side up and throw a piece of wood under it real quick. Wiggle wiggle of the wheel to check and kick the wood back out while lifting it again.

Can be done with a jack but I’m not crawling under anywho and takes longer.
Would you come over and lift mine for me?