NFR College Football 2022

Non-fishing related

Dr. Magill

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Three of my nephews went there...all super smart high achievers.
i think he was just flat out overrated, likely due to name recognition.
I might be wrong, but never saw anything in his brief NCAA time that made me think he was special...
But maybe he is a Geno.
:)
I’m going with overrated as well
If he was that good he’d be playing or transferring to a better program
I wish him well

Canuck from Kansas

Aimlessly wondering through life
Forum Supporter
Exactly. Giving a scholarship to some athletic bubba that will play 1 year and then leave for the pros flies in the face of the educational system. A scholarship given to a brilliant or even average high school kid will probably develop that kid into a useful member of society that can make some contributions other than becoming a talking head on sports TV in a few years.

How did colleges get this fucked up? How can they pay coaches 5-6 million dollar a year salaries and then charge students hundreds of thousands of dollars to attend and have crippling debt before they get their first job? How many full ride scholarships would $6,000,000 a year provide for brilliant students? China produces over 9x as many graduate engineers a year as the US and India 5x as many and yet the football budget for major universities is as much as some 3rd world countries. And don't give me that crap that colleges can't exist without sports revenue. College football has been around for 150 years and it is only recently that they have painted themselves into the corner they now find themselves in.

There are less than 2,000 players in the NFL so the job prospects there are damned slim. In an increasingly technological world we need on the order of 250,000 engineers a year to graduate, we are only getting 70-80,000. Not enough to compete.

"The answer to all your questions is money" - Don Ohlmeyer

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
We are talking college football here, so you can’t just play one year of college ball and go pro. You have to be three years removed from your date of HS graduation. So technically you can redshirt and go pro after being a redshirt sophomore.

Some athletic department don’t get money from the states. Alums donate a ton of money to athletic departments. Football pays the bills. So yeah, it’s about the money. It’s been that way for a long time now.
I can guarantee you that whatever big schools are paying their coaches it is worth it to the other programs within the athletic department. Because without football there wouldn’t be any other programs.

But hey, let’s look at all these stupid bubbas because they got athletic scholarships.
No doubt there are college athletes on scholarships that don’t care about school and by doing so, they are blowing a golden opportunity given them.

Regardless of whether they play sports or not, not every college student is destined to be an engineer.
SF

Landlocked

Steelhead
Huard to Cal Poly
Go figure
I’ve heard Cal Poly has picked up some good P5 pieces via portal. Paul Wulff is the coach there. Not a great pedigree as a P5 coach. But has a long resume in coaching. Helluva academic school. Did I hear Joey Hobart transferred there from Utah Tech (formerly Dixie State)? That would be interesting. Wish them great success.

Dr. Magill

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Never been a Wulff fan. He sucked at WSU
I’m thinking the Huard kid just wants to lead a team
Plus there’s that whole coaching thing going down
His HS coach is the new OC

bobduck

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Looks like Ducks had a good recruiting year, ranked 8th nationally. Impressive job by Lanning and coaching staff. Go Ducks!

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
I like it.
SF