Big Fish Nymphing [Poll] Mono vs. Fluoro

Mono or Fluoro for nymphing big fish on a fly rod?

• Monofilament

Votes: 7 41.2%
  • Fluorocarbon

Votes: 10 58.8%

• Total voters

DerekWhipple

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I think part of Maxima UG's success is it is rated under-test. Mono has more wiggle room with knots. When I use fluoro, I am very serious about my knot tying, if I think I didn't lubricate it or tighten it wrong, I clip it off and tie again. When I use UG, I just throw on a non-slip loop and fish.

8lb UG is 0.10 (I think it is definitely stronger than 8lbs).
The rio fluoroflex that is 0.10 is rated 13.3lb. I'm skeptical that you could get 13lbs out of it with most knots.

Another line to try is p-line CXX. I think it is very similar to ultragreen. High abrasion resistance, and insanely strong compared to it's rating.

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
I think part of Maxima UG's success is it is rated under-test. Mono has more wiggle room with knots. When I use fluoro, I am very serious about my knot tying, if I think I didn't lubricate it or tighten it wrong, I clip it off and tie again. When I use UG, I just throw on a non-slip loop and fish.

8lb UG is 0.10 (I think it is definitely stronger than 8lbs).
The rio fluoroflex that is 0.10 is rated 13.3lb. I'm skeptical that you could get 13lbs out of it with most knots.

Another line to try is p-line CXX. I think it is very similar to ultragreen. High abrasion resistance, and insanely strong compared to it's rating.

I think you hit the nail on the head there. It's more about diameter/strength rating. Maxima has always had a much larger diameter for its lines than comparably rated fluoro....or anything for that matter. That's why it always cracks me up when people talk up something like their 10lb, when in reality, their 10lb might have the same diameter as other brands 15 or even 20lb rated lines.

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter
threw away two spools of Rio"Strong" flouro after several breakoffs, worse tippet I've ever used. Back to my 200 yd spools of Seaguar STS wound onto old tippet spools.
Not all lines are created equal. According to this three page flouro dive, Seaguar InvisX emerged as top dog.

Old406Kid

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Those are my standards for bonefish tippet too....and I often use #25 lb tippet for bones because Sunline has such small diameters. Japanese engineering for the win...again LOL.
I'll be in your neighborhood for a couple of weeks in January/February. Is the Sunline something available locally or do you get it online?

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
Those are my standards for bonefish tippet too....and I often use #25 lb tippet for bones because Sunline has such small diameters. Japanese engineering for the win...again LOL.
Maybe I'm just missing it, but where on their site can you get the diameters?

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Which Sunline line do folks that use it prefer?
There are multiple fluorocarbon options on their site. Just curious which one you prefer.
SF

skyrise

Steelhead
throwing out another history tid bit, back in the Old Noodle rod days they/we would use 4-6 lb. maxima and down to #8 bait hooks. Of course you had to play them very gently but it was done. Think I lost 10-12 fish in and around the beginners hole on that K river down south from the hook coming loose not the leader breaking. Wouldn’t recommend going that light as it’s bad on the fish.

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
I guess it's just me, because I know you folks know what's up, but flouro just didn't work for me. My first knot was always fine, but once I'd fished it I could never get another knot to hold. Tie in a new fresh strand, no problem. Most of my experience was with rio and cortland.

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter
I think you hit the nail on the head there. It's more about diameter/strength rating. Maxima has always had a much larger diameter for its lines than comparably rated fluoro....or anything for that matter. That's why it always cracks me up when people talk up something like their 10lb, when in reality, their 10lb might have the same diameter as other brands 15 or even 20lb rated lines.
.exactly...
" the average breaking strength of our 10lb test Ultragreen in the lab was 15lbs. Many readers' initial reaction will be "Wow! That's some strong line!" to which we will counter, this is actually 15lb test line marketed as 10lb. This explains why the line's diameter is so thick for 10lb test - because it isn't! We'd much prefer the line were rated properly rather than foster the illusion it's stronger than its rating."

Mingo

Life of the Party
Maybe I'm just missing it, but where on their site can you get the diameters?
Not sure about the website, I get the diameters from the packaging. Do a diameter check with other brands and you'll see. Sportsman's Warehouse usually has it from 4 lb to 25 lb.

Mingo

Life of the Party
There are multiple fluorocarbon options on their site. Just curious which one you prefer.
SF
Sunline Sniper is my favorite. I also have a couple spools of Japanese packaging fluoro I got in Japan that are amazing. They use it for super stealth light line bass and trout fishing. I use it for fly fishing leaders and tippet.

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
It is curious we all talk about maxima in pound test as the nominal reference point. I select it for use based upon diameter for the fly being fished, which then seems the correct pound test for the fish being sought.

jaredoconnor

Peabrain Chub
Forum Supporter
I think part of Maxima UG's success is it is rated under-test.

Maxima is popular, because it was the first affordable copolymer line. However, they have become complacent and have not kept up with the market; there are affordable alternatives that are as much as twice as strong, at the same diameter.

Back to the topic of the thread... I only use fluro when I expect the line to experience abrasion. Fluoro is far more abrasion resistant than mono and that is the main difference. Most nylon lines actually have a higher breaking strength than most fluoro lines. However, if abrasion is a factor, the practical strength of nylon is far lower than fluoro. I don't buy into all the other hype, such as fluoro being less visible or sinking faster; the difference is usually negligible.

Last edited:

G_Smolt

Legend
SF
Super FC Sniper and FC Leader. Strong af, great abrasion resistance, one of the best (if not THE best) in terms of knot strength, and with a refractive index very close to that of water, it doesn't cast a shadow. My go-to for big trout (salty and resident), when I'm swingin', nymphin', or gettin' dirty with the bead box.