Best practice for deeply hooked fish?

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
Came across this holdover today with a sz 6 baitholder from last year (very corroded) hooked at the back of the tongue in front of the throat. Obviously it survived and it's feeding. Best option is?
1) Leave
2) Cut just outside mouth
3) trim at hook eye
4) Try to remove
5) Harvest
20220419_bestchance.jpg
I went with 2..

Last edited:

Canuck from Kansas

Aimlessly wondering through life
Forum Supporter
From the Oregon fishing regs:

Screen Shot 2022-04-21 at 9.24.37 AM.png

I have also wondered about predators, but my understanding is that the hook will be dissolved/extruded in relatively short order - regarding other critters, I am far more concerned about the tangled line/tippet material and hooks if find stream side.

Cheers

krusty

We're on the Road to Nowhere...
Forum Supporter
From the Oregon fishing regs:

View attachment 12236

I have also wondered about predators, but my understanding is that the hook will be dissolved/extruded in relatively short order - regarding other critters, I am far more concerned about the tangled line/tippet material and hooks if find stream side.

Cheers
I made contact with the folk at WDFW and got a very prompt response that their opinion and recommendation is to snip the tippet off as close to the mouth as possible, and that subsequent risk to predators/scavengers is negligible.

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
I made contact with the folk at WDFW and got a very prompt response that their opinion and recommendation is to snip the tippet off as close to the mouth as possible, and that subsequent risk to predators/scavengers is negligible.
Thanks for doing that. Somewhere in the back of my mind I had clipping it close and sending it on it's way as the best course, but I took the picture to post for group input.
I have not fished the boobie flies here that were working last spring, just because so many fish seemed to inhale them. These are "just" stockers, but for WDFW's effort it would be nice to get more than one angler encounter per fish.

Last edited:

onefish

Steelhead
The dissolving/rusting hook is a myth IMO. I have caught plenty of fish with hooks in the mouth, hanging out the anus after going through the digestive system and everything in between. The hooks I have seen are nowhere close to dissolving or rusting away. When I get fish like this I always cut the line as close to the hook as possible. With stuff that has gone right through the fish I cut the hook off at the anus end and pull the swivel and remaining line back through the front end. The lake I fish the most has a large contingent of bottom fishing bait guys so stray hooks are more common than you would think.

As far as removing deep hooks the best tools I have found are disgorgers of one form or another not pliers or hemostats.
1650561468968.png1650561522523.png

krusty

We're on the Road to Nowhere...
Forum Supporter
The dissolving/rusting hook is a myth IMO. I have caught plenty of fish with hooks in the mouth, hanging out the anus after going through the digestive system and everything in between. The hooks I have seen are nowhere close to dissolving or rusting away. When I get fish like this I always cut the line as close to the hook as possible. With stuff that has gone right through the fish I cut the hook off at the anus end and pull the swivel and remaining line back through the front end. The lake I fish the most has a large contingent of bottom fishing bait guys so stray hooks are more common than you would think.

As far as removing deep hooks the best tools I have found are disgorgers of one form or another not pliers or hemostats.
View attachment 12238View attachment 12239
I have a large variety of hook disgorging tools including the ones shown (which do indeed work quite well) in your posting (I'm a sucker for just about any type of flyfishing/flytying tool...except nail knot tools and expensive nippers!).

I actually prefer forceps, specifically the Loons with an integrated scissor blade. That way I can make a very rapid decision to snip off the tippet if it appears the hook can't easily be removed and not have to waste time switching to a different tool like nail clippers.

Last edited:

Ceviche

Steelhead
Forum Supporter

View attachment 12238View attachment 12239
Yes! 👆🏼 This! I have one of my own, and they work way better than forceps.

The split tube slides down the tippet and entirely around the fly. A slight jab, with tension on the line, will typically allow you to free the hook and keep the point away from soft tissue as you clear the mouth.

Even if the fly is only lodged into the fish’s lip, the tool can help minimize any handling that might cause harm. I recently had a run where near all of my fish were hooked hard in the corner of the mouth. In all cases, I didn’t need to bring the fish out of the water to free the hook. Neither did I even have to grab the fish. Just popped the fly free. I think that says a lot for the tool.

dirty dog

Steelhead
I caught a west slope cutt on the Little Blackfoot, MT on a foam hopper.
The little guy had a snelled #8 worm hook with worm in it's throat.
I got my nippers out and cut the 30# leader off as close as possible.
Also, when I release fish of all kinds I try to not touch them with my hands.
Be gentle with the fish, please.

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
Yes! 👆🏼 This! I have one of my own, and they work way better than forceps.

The split tube slides down the tippet and entirely around the fly. A slight jab, with tension on the line, will typically allow you to free the hook and keep the point away from soft tissue as you clear the mouth.

Even if the fly is only lodged into the fish’s lip, the tool can help minimize any handling that might cause harm. I recently had a run where near all of my fish were hooked hard in the corner of the mouth. In all cases, I didn’t need to bring the fish out of the water to free the hook. Neither did I even have to grab the fish. Just popped the fly free. I think that says a lot for the tool.
I guess I should have had my Ketchum Release hooked to a float or zinger; I dropped it, they don't float. Thanks Onefish and you for sharing, I need to buy another one.

onefish

Steelhead
I guess I should have had my Ketchum Release hooked to a float or zinger; I dropped it, they don't float. Thanks Onefish and you for sharing, I need to buy another one.
I have a big ass spin n glo tied to mine. Makes it float and easier to find in the boat. That is about all my old steelhead gear is useful for these days.