Best DIY resources for those new to the PNW?

cody-

Steelhead
Hey all,

I'm fixing to accept a job offer in Washington's dry side. I've been fly fishing since I moved for Utah a few years ago. I really struggled at first, but also really didn't initially put in the effort needed for find success until meeting someone who became a really great friend and mentor.

Getting to my question... Are there any specific online or print resources that you all found particularly helpful for getting the lay of the land or for species-specific strategies? I'm not looking for your hot spots, but would appreciate any book, map/gazetteer, or other suggestions to make my first fishing outings in the PNW more enjoyable.

Thanks!

Reactions: HOG

Old Man

Just a useless Old Man.
Forum Legend
I have the complete Natgeo disc set. All 50 states. And I use it about as much as I use maps.

Old Man

Just a useless Old Man.
Forum Legend
Great idea. I feel a little spoiled here in Utah where things are pretty loose with no seasonal closures and very few tackle-related regulations. Definitely something I'll need to keep an eye on.
You will probably go batty after seeing the Washington's Rules and Regulations. It's damn near a book. I put up with them for many years, Then I moved to Montana. Much more simpler.

Reactions: Zak

cody-

Steelhead
I don't know how you feel about hiking and backcountry. But that is 90% what I do now locally. No meth heads where I go. Just drop dead scenery and great fishing. Both the west and east sides have a lot to offer.
Fishing hikes are my all-time favorite, and how I spend most of my free time during summers currently in Utah. I haven't done any backpacking/overnight hikes but I can typically cover 5-8 miles/day and still get some fishing done.

Divad

Whitefish
OnX isn’t great unless you pay for the locked version, and then it’s awesome! I’d say it can be the number 1 resource at times for exploring. I’ll find slivers of state land, or private that when researched allow recreational traffic!

Highly recommend.

Divad

Whitefish
Do the opposite of this guy and you will catch fish.

But seriously, reading, research and planning is necessary, just don’t forget to go fishing. More time on the water is best way to learn.
Blindly fishing though is not the best in new area, research here and there is key. Unless you have some amazing job that pays without working or you’re retired then that time is valuable. And it’s stupid to not spend the 5-20 minutes learning maybe that river had a fish kill months prior than to go out and fish it all day wondering what the fug you did wrong. 🥴

Old Man

Just a useless Old Man.
Forum Legend
I try to do all my fishing in the National Forests. No trouble with Boundaries Up there. and the fishing is better.