Best DIY resources for those new to the PNW?

cody-

Steelhead
Hey all,

I'm fixing to accept a job offer in Washington's dry side. I've been fly fishing since I moved for Utah a few years ago. I really struggled at first, but also really didn't initially put in the effort needed for find success until meeting someone who became a really great friend and mentor.

Getting to my question... Are there any specific online or print resources that you all found particularly helpful for getting the lay of the land or for species-specific strategies? I'm not looking for your hot spots, but would appreciate any book, map/gazetteer, or other suggestions to make my first fishing outings in the PNW more enjoyable.

Thanks!

Reactions: HOG

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
I can't remember if anyone mentioned it, but don't be afraid to get after a variety of species. Living in Portland, there are limited trout opportunities within an hour (those few that are aren't talked about and typically great for a pretty limited time), but there are tiger muskies, carp, smallmouth and more within an hour of my doorstep. Shoot, even in the winter, I can be on some winter steelhead water in 45 minutes.

I don't think anyone else has mentioned it but if you find yourself in Oregon, this is like the 12th edition of a book that includes just about every fishery in Oregon:

View attachment 5684

Yes! that's the one.

I ended up with 2 because I thought I had lost my first one. Now, both are all marked up.

GAT

Dumbfounded
Forum Supporter
I can't remember if anyone mentioned it, but don't be afraid to get after a variety of species. Living in Portland, there are limited trout opportunities within an hour (those few that are aren't talked about and typically great for a pretty limited time), but there are tiger muskies, carp, smallmouth and more within an hour of my doorstep. Shoot, even in the winter, I can be on some winter steelhead water in 45 minutes.

Yes! that's the one.

I ended up with 2 because I thought I had lost my first one. Now, both are all marked up.
When someone thinks they've found a secret spot that no one else knows about, chances are, it is in the book. They add to it for each edition.