Best DIY resources for those new to the PNW?

cody-

Steelhead
Hey all,

I'm fixing to accept a job offer in Washington's dry side. I've been fly fishing since I moved for Utah a few years ago. I really struggled at first, but also really didn't initially put in the effort needed for find success until meeting someone who became a really great friend and mentor.

Getting to my question... Are there any specific online or print resources that you all found particularly helpful for getting the lay of the land or for species-specific strategies? I'm not looking for your hot spots, but would appreciate any book, map/gazetteer, or other suggestions to make my first fishing outings in the PNW more enjoyable.

Thanks!

Reactions: HOG
Hey all,

I'm fixing to accept a job offer in Washington's dry side. I've been fly fishing since I moved for Utah a few years ago. I really struggled at first, but also really didn't initially put in the effort needed for find success until meeting someone who became a really great friend and mentor.

Getting to my question... Are there any specific online or print resources that you all found particularly helpful for getting the lay of the land or for species-specific strategies? I'm not looking for your hot spots, but would appreciate any book, map/gazetteer, or other suggestions to make my first fishing outings in the PNW more enjoyable.

Thanks!
Don’t know which town you’re moving but hanging out at a flyfishing shop would be the thing to do. I’ve found that the guys in shops are freer with their information than the guys online. Probably because they’re talking to one person (you) and not the whole world (us) .
Leland.

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
Do you tie your own flies? If you're into tying your own, then what @Leland Miyawaki says is really easy. You stop by the local shop (assuming "local" exists) and get to know the guys. They want to help you. I joined a fly club (PSFF.ORG) in the 1980's, man, was that helpful! Of course, with this ongoing pandemic, I don't know how many clubs actually meet anymore.

Good luck with your search.

RCF

Life of the Party
On a more serious note... Washington is unique in a number of ways. You can fish Dry Falls. When it had water flowing over it it was 3 times wider and twice as high as Niagra falls. Lake Chelan is almost 400' below sea level at its deepest depth. Enjoy the history if you are into that.

The suggestions above for DIY research are definitely good ones. I would add that do some research at the county level to get further specifics. Depending on the county, you will bathymetric maps of the lake, water quality, visibility, average water temperatures by month, access, etc. Also the are a number of universities in eWA that have done studies and see what you can find there.

Oh don't believe anything or everything about Crab Creek until you do:

Washington is very diverse and a lot of fun discovering it. Ben her 65+ years and only scratched the surface... Enjoy!

Edited to add: Almost as confusing as the regulations are which pass do you need to park for access.

Last edited:

Bagman

Steelhead
even if your on the dry side don’t over look the Salt, we have had a few ruff years as far a fish catching goes but it’s a great way to spent some time even if you don’t put any to hand. Also make sure you go to wa emergency rule changes before you head out. You can save yourself some headaches, the spot you were fishing in yesterday may close the next day.

Old Man

Just a useless Old Man.
Forum Legend
This is a fairly good map. But the one made by Benchmark is better. Costs a little more also. I have the Benchmark one and it is dog eared from being used so much. Or you can go to any Ranger Station and buy a National Forest Map. They used to be free but not anymore.

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
A tank of gas and a map used to do it.
Still would today but lots of other resources like Google maps, shoreline viewers, books etc that make it even easier if someone had the gumption and enjoys exploring. Exploring can be just as good as fishing and some bust trips pay off in spades with better water conditions, weather etc. Have fun.
SF

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
Hey all,

Thanks!
Hire a guide like @Nick Clayton

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
Do everything that everyone above said...

I dunno if there's a Washington version of the Sheehan "Fishing in Oregon" book (maybe the one listed above), but that's my primary resource for finding stuff that no one likes to talk about on fishing forums. That, and a few calls to the local bio's will yield a surprising amount of good information.