Beginner trying to find a spot

cgswjs

Freshly Spawned
Hi guys,
My name is Ian. I am a beginner and I am struggling to find a spot for fly fishing. Is there any creek or river spot good for trout that’s close to Portland? Thanks guys.

Old Man

Just a useless Old Man.
Forum Legend
There is this little stream in the cascades that has trout in it. You don't need a rock to stand on as this time of the year it is pretty skinny.
Me posting this made me think of a very small creek that I dropped a fly into. I was up on the N/F Snoqualmie one summer day. I was up high and it was just barely running. I saw this one semi deep spot and I thought why not. So I dropped a small dry on it. Caught about a 3" trout. It's color was what got me. It's back was pure Black. Of course it went back into the water.

At one time you could access that river in the tree farm without a pass. Since I don't live there anymore I have no idea if you can still go there.

wetline dave

Steelhead
If you go far enough and the road is not closed you can get into National Forest land outside the tree farm.
Jim I am sute you and I and a couple of others fished as small trib just inside the National Forest.

There is some interesting small water up there for those that take the time and effort to explore.

Dave

DerekWhipple

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Me posting this made me think of a very small creek that I dropped a fly into. I was up on the N/F Snoqualmie one summer day. I was up high and it was just barely running. I saw this one semi deep spot and I thought why not. So I dropped a small dry on it. Caught about a 3" trout. It's color was what got me. It's back was pure Black. Of course it went back into the water.

At one time you could access that river in the tree farm without a pass. Since I don't live there anymore I have no idea if you can still go there.
I love those resident coastal cutthroat that are so densely spotted, they might as well be black. Way up the road from Portland, up some tributaries that have complete canopy cover.

Old Man

Just a useless Old Man.
Forum Legend
If you go far enough and the road is not closed you can get into National Forest land outside the tree farm.
Jim I am sute you and I and a couple of others fished as small trib just inside the National Forest.

There is some interesting small water up there for those that take the time and effort to explore.

Dave
Hell. I don't shop unless there is an electric cart for me to use. I couldn't walk a store anymore if I tried. (n)

Tim L

Stillwater Strategist
Forum Supporter

Jim, just fhe fact that you quoted your own post elevates you to a new level.

Old Man

Just a useless Old Man.
Forum Legend
Jim, just fhe fact that you quoted your own post elevates you to a new level.
Hell I didn't even get out to fish this year. Being an old man had something to do with it. I was unable or unwilling to get out this this year. So I should be willing and ready to go when the time arrives. Some time in June should be prime time for me.

bobduck

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Hell I didn't even get out to fish this year. Being an old man had something to do with it. I was unable or unwilling to get out this this year. So I should be willing and ready to go when the time arrives. Some time in June should be prime time for me.
Just got around to reading your post and trying to decide if I should be depressed or not. I was born just after dirt was invented and before Norm van Brocklyn was our quarterback. I have been considering hitting a local stream for winter steel and even tied up some popsicles in case the river gets in shape. I have the gear but not sure if I have the resolve. I've had several memorable trips fishing your area and hope you get out there and submit a good report. I'm cheering for you. I have a shirt that says "Old guys rule" So go get em.

Old Man

Just a useless Old Man.
Forum Legend
I have many pieces of skinny water to fish. But they are out of my comfort zone. One is about 120 miles away. BSC. Lately long drives tire me out. And I can only throw flies around for about an hour and then I have to rest. The Clark Fork is just about 20 miles away. But I don't have it dialed in yet. This area is where it starts. Where Silver Bow creek and Warm Springs creek come together. But I have another to play around in. I haven't been there in a year. It's just a little south and west of the CF. Oh hell I have more. Just teasing you all.

WWKimba

Smolt
I've got several fine warm and cold-water spots along with3 wine trails within an hour or so drive from my house. But since I'm from central NY it would be a bit of a drive for most of you! Not much for saltwater fishers but since 10 percent of ALL the world's freshwater passes a couple hour's drive north of me - well, it does present many options! ;)

Kim

dbaken

Smolt
Forum Supporter
I've got several fine warm and cold-water spots along with3 wine trails within an hour or so drive from my house. But since I'm from central NY it would be a bit of a drive for most of you! Not much for saltwater fishers but since 10 percent of ALL the world's freshwater passes a couple hour's drive north of me - well, it does present many options! ;)

Kim

A 3 wine trail? Trying to think of how long that would be. Not a big wine drinker, help me out - what's the conversion from wine distances to beer distance?

jaredoconnor

Peabrain Chub
Forum Supporter
Just take the pouch out of the box wine and you don't need a bota bag anymore.

We call it a goon sack.

The name given to wine, generally white, when removed from the cask. The sack is made of a strong foil, so it can be passed around without getting damaged.

It is a popular alcohol choice for Australian teenagers, as it costs no more than $15 for 4 litres, which is a very affordable way to get fucked up.

When one is intoxicated, they often drink the juice straight from the sack, although it is also commonly mixed with other liquids such as orange juice or soft drink, to make the taste more tolerable.

girl "Hey, pass the goon sack."
boy "Ok, do you want a cup, too?"
girl "Are you serious? I have it straight from the sack."

by bearcakes91 April 25, 2009

As a self proclaimed connoisseur, I have converted multiple Americans to the way of the goon sack.

One of the proudest moments of my marriage was when I asked my (Chinese American) wife what she wanted to do for our first anniversary. I proposed that we go somewhere fancy. She said that we could do that, but what she really wants is Burger King and a goon sack from Costco. The virtues of a Whopper and foil-encased wine are two things that she has learned from me. These are arguably my greatest contributions to our relationship.

Last edited:

WWKimba

Smolt
A 3 wine trail? Trying to think of how long that would be. Not a big wine drinker, help me out - what's the conversion from wine distances to beer distance?
Sorry I ignored the beer question. It so happens that a couple of the wineries (there's one on the northern tip of Seneca Lake where you simply walk 5 feet from the wine tasting to the beer tasting room! there are also a couple cideries where the distilled liquor and cider tasting areas are similar. There is a saying about fishing - "There are 2 types of great days you can have when fishing, 1) Where you go out and catch fish and, 2) Where you go out and DON'T catch fish!". I think the saying must have come from a fisher from this area!

Kim

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
The OP should have a lot of good spots by now.
SF