Beginner trying to find a spot

cgswjs

Freshly Spawned
Hi guys,
My name is Ian. I am a beginner and I am struggling to find a spot for fly fishing. Is there any creek or river spot good for trout that’s close to Portland? Thanks guys.

Old Man

Just a useless Old Man.
Forum Legend
All you people just seem to scare any new blood away, But I don't because I'm a nice guy. But if I lived in Portland I give all the secrets away. With all the hills and forests there is bound to be a few places that nobody ever ventured into. All he has to do is get a good map and study it. Along with a copy of the regs . This is so he won't mis-read the regs and poach.

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Its got to be the lack of water in Washington that makes it so difficult to find places to fish.......
SF

Tinker

Smolt
Forum Supporter
One thing no one has said: call the ODFW Office for your area - they're listed in the fishing regulations. They're nice folks, and they'll tell you what they know - and they know more about where to find trout than anyone else.

DerekWhipple

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
One thing no one has said: call the ODFW Office for your area - they're listed in the fishing regulations. They're nice folks, and they'll tell you what they know - and they know more about where to find trout than anyone else.
I wouldn't take a lot of stock in their steelhead advice.

Tinker

Smolt
Forum Supporter
I wouldn't take a lot of stock in their steelhead advice.

I don't see any reason why not. The folks at the satellite offices are not the ODFW muckety-mucks in Salem, and so far, they haven't lied to me about where are or when the steelhead are moving Your mileage may vary, of course, but we were talking about resident trout, weren't we?

bobduck

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
While reading the posts in this thread I remembered that I had an old book on my shelf and dug it out. It's called Fishing Holes a short cast from Portland, copyright 1988 published by the Oregonian Publishing Company. It's geared more for the bobber and worm guy and warm water species but I've fished some of the lakes and ponds in the book with a fly rod for trout. Warm water species is great fun with a fly rod too and after dusting off the book and going through it I got to thinking about going to some of the places myself. Time to tie some bugs for crappie and bluegill. By the way this book was edited by Bill Monroe who was an outdoor writer for the Oregonian and the premise was to find a place to fish you could reach on a gallon of gas. Not realistic but you get the idea. I bet this book can be found at the library or even Powell's.

Old Man

Just a useless Old Man.
Forum Legend
I don't think that the OP has ever made it back here. I just checked his avatar or start page and there is only one message listed there. Must of just been somebody trolling for a hit.

DerekWhipple

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Since we've decided the creator of this thread is not coming back, I think it would now be safe for everyone to post their favorite spots for resident trout.

Somebody else go first...

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Since we've decided the creator of this thread is not coming back, I think it would now be safe for everyone to post their favorite spots for resident trout.

Somebody else go first...

If you insist….. Puget Sound.
Third rock to the left of the no trespassing sign at 2.45’ tide height, but only on the outgoing with a full moon, during months that contain the letter R and a SW wind forecast of less then 4 kts.
Hopefully that is specific enough.
SF