Beckler river

sbonvallEt

Freshly Spawned
Forum Supporter
I am relatively new to fly fishing here on the west side and having done most of my fishing on the Yakima and it’s tributaries. Recently someone mentioned fishing the Beckler river. In my research including the WFF there were posts in 2018 suggesting that area was pretty sketchy as it pertains to “meth labs” and crime potential. It deflated my enthusiasm considerably. If anyone has fished that area in the last few years, I would love input not so much on places to fish but safety. Though I know not to leave belongings in view, dealing with repairs after a car break in is a pain having gone through it in the past. Thanks.
SB

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
I am relatively new to fly fishing here on the west side and having done most of my fishing on the Yakima and it’s tributaries. Recently someone mentioned fishing the Beckler river. In my research including the WFF there were posts in 2018 suggesting that area was pretty sketchy as it pertains to “meth labs” and crime potential. It deflated my enthusiasm considerably. If anyone has fished that area in the last few years, I would love input not so much on places to fish but safety. Though I know not to leave belongings in view, dealing with repairs after a car break in is a pain having gone through it in the past. Thanks.
SB
It’s not the worst, not the best. There are no guarantees in life, but my sh*t hasn’t gotten stolen there yet. There are all kinds of blue lines out Hwy 2 and they all have fish.

JayB

Steelhead
Had an interesting encounter with an agitated man in a yellow-tracksuit that hopped out of the bushes near the end of the pull-out that I'd driven to the end of and listened to him rather emphatically explain that the fishing on the Beckler was terrible and I'd really, really, really, really, really, really be wasting my time trying to fish there. I thanked him for his time, wished him well, and left.

JACKspASS

Life of the Party
I usually take a buddy fishing with me up there, one waits and watches the vehicle while the other fishes. We haven't had any problems yet.

Bring bear spray also

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
Had an interesting encounter with an agitated man in a yellow-tracksuit that hopped out of the bushes near the end of the pull-out that I'd driven to the end of and listened to him rather emphatically explain that the fishing on the Beckler was terrible and I'd really, really, really, really, really, really be wasting my time trying to fish there. I thanked him for his time, wished him well, and left.
That was you?! Oh man, If I'd known, I'd have tossed in another "really" or two, free of charge!

Long_Rod_Silvers

Elder Millennial
Forum Supporter
Just be careful not to leave anything visible in your car. Empty cab w/ nothing to steal should increase your odds of being left alone. I used to go up there a lot, never had any issues.

Old Man

Just a useless Old Man.
Forum Legend
I know nothing about the Beckler, except if you hit it at a certain time of the year it's a pretty good time catching fish. What you need to do is head up stream to the other river. Drive up stream and after you cross three bridge. Find a place to park and head down to the stream It's very wadable up in there and very quiet. But you didn't hear it from me.

Joe M

Smolt
I usually take a buddy fishing with me up there, one waits and watches the vehicle while the other fishes. We haven't had any problems yet.

Bring bear spray also
Bear spray...for the bears or tweakers, or is it multi purpose at that point?

tomgru

Freshly Spawned
I think I remember reading that in the other forum.. that was 2018 though, correct?

Cliff

Steelhead
I last fished the Beckler around 1975. Not so hot, at least back then. I found a big, heavy cast iron Hibatchi on a bank there.

JayB

Steelhead
I think I remember reading that in the other forum.. that was 2018 though, correct?
Think maybe 2017? Don't think the Beckler is any worse than the rest of the Sky Valley - and probably quite a bit safer since it's too far out there to be very attractive as a site for thefts or encampments.

I actually poked around the upper Sky tribs quite a bit for kayaking and never had any issues, so I wouldn't hesitate to go back there.

The main factors keeping me away are the fact that life got super busy not long after that incident, and the guy in the Ali G tracksuit was right, the fishing really isn't all that good and doesn't justify the drive. Very pretty area, though.

The only thing I'd do differently these days would be to back into dead end pull outs so that I could leave more promptly after saying my goodbyes.