Beadheads on Buggers?

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
Whats your favorite type of bead for your bugger/leech patterns (brass, tungsten, glass, plastic, etc)?
All the buggers I've tied have 4-4.5mm tungsten beads for no other reason than thats the only type of beads I have (usually for euro nymphs).

But honestly, the tungsten is pretty clunky to cast, and feels unnecessarily heavy for what I want. IE, even with a floating line, it sinks so fast that I end up dragging bottom when I'm fishing the shallows. I don't really want to go beadless, because I almost only fishing buggers while backpacking so I only want to bring one spool/line (a floating) so I can still fish dries.

What say you? Brass probably better?

Zak

Legend
Forum Supporter
If I'm going for the look of a bead, I use big brass ones. If not, either a small 2 - 2.5 mm tying bead or, more likely, wraps of nonlead near the head.

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
I was fighting the bead problem earlier this spring for the same reasons . I found the full sink line works better (not what you wanted I know). I've been fond of red glass for my buggers and leeches for the sinking line. Bead, some with wire, heavy hook, they still get down. Buggers
20220704_flies.jpg
simiseal leech
20220530_redbeadleech.jpg
I use the flies with heavy beads under an indicator with the floating line. Fluorescent orange has been best, then copper (in tungsten(1) or Brass (2).
20220507_flies.jpg

Last edited:

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
To bead or not to bead....... it seems not too long ago there was a thread on beading/not beading buggers. I do it both ways but seem to favor beads more than not. This pattern worked really well a few years back, just about this time of year. I think the secret (secret?) was more in the count down and getting it to the right depth. P1000211.JPG

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
To bead or not to bead....... it seems not too long ago there was a thread on beading/not beading buggers. I do it both ways but seem to favor beads more than not. This pattern worked really well a few years back, just about this time of year. I think the secret (secret?) was more in the count down and getting it to the right depth. View attachment 21502
I had posted a thread and got some good feedback. Like I said, I'm just figuring this stuff out.
https://www.pnwflyfishing.com/forum/index.php?threads/fishing-weighted-flies.1951/

tkww

Steelhead
I use brass usually, as size appropriate tungsten is often too much work to cast, as you're finding out. You can also go smaller bead (or glass) for bling and some lead wraps to add weight if needed. Doesn't concentrate the weight as much (jigging action), but it will definitely work.

Don't be afraid to scale the whole bugger down a couple of sizes too (scaling the bead with it). You might have to switch up to a shorter shank to keep the gap size from shrinking too much or getting completely obscured by hackle. Something like a 2xL #10 in place of a 4xL #14. But smaller buggers definitely work.

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
For a bit different weighting option and look to your patterns, small brass dumbbell or bead chain eyes will work as well on buggers and they also come in different colors just like beads.
SF

The lowly green WB is pretty much all I use anymore for swinging- it’s deadly. I use 2.7 and 3.1 depending on the size of fly. Tungsten.

Attachments

• 0B14F6A4-9A6D-4136-A2AD-F2E31649B732.jpeg
    0B14F6A4-9A6D-4136-A2AD-F2E31649B732.jpeg
    533.7 KB · Views: 15

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
Thanks everyone for responding. I'm going to pick up some brass and glass beads for my backcountry buggers.