Bass on the fly advice...

HauntedByWaters

Life of the Party

Some fast and some not so fast retrieves in this vid. Definitely makes me wonder if the two handed retrieve would work with the right fly. That last one is pretty cool 😎

Wow! Some of those bass are truly massive!

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
I was wondering about that line. I mean, $30 is a steal in fly lines these days if it's decent.
I guess I don’t have the “Bass” version (35’ 210 gr head), just the standard version (40’ 240 gr head for my 9 wt line). I strung it up off the spool and I had been lazy and tied a perfection loop directly in the back of the line. I installed a heat shrink tube loop. Messed it up the first try.

C7C6DA92-08EB-49A3-A918-761AAE65EABB.jpeg
I plan to do some popper fishing with it this weekend. We will see how it does.

DoesItFloat

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Used to fish frog fly patterns on the pads and reeds in Texas. Not that I miss it that much, but it did make bass fishing fun. The fish that would come up for those bugs were always bigger than average.

There was a tree down in the middle of the river, and my buddy and I would always post our kayaks up on the bank upriver, sip a little mezcal and try to figure out the strategy for the big fish behind and under the tree. The water was clear and about 10' deep, so you could always see them when you passed by. Every fish around that tree was 7+ with a few in the teens. We hooked a few and they always took us back into the wood, every time - it was like grouper fishing on the wrecks - if you didn't get them out quick, you didn't stand a chance - river bass are stronger than stillwater bass by an order of magnitude. I considered taking a 10wt along a few times, but never did.

Anyway, yeah, fish frogs.