Back from the dead again; Oldtown Canoe renovation

Phil K

AKA Philonius
Forum Supporter
Would it be scandalous to suggest epoxy saturation and some fiberglass cloth?
I know not traditional but canvas and lagging is tricky and modern materials would be more durable.
cool project!
I hear ya' Nate. From the practical standpoint, that is an excellent solution, but I just couldn't bring myself to do that. I'm going (mostly) along the traditional route, and already have the canvass on hand and bought a come-along from Harbor Freight to do the stretching. There are now more convenient alternatives to the traditional oil body/silica fillers that are a real PITA to apply and take 4-6 weeks to cure ( ! ).
The mod squad now uses an aircraft fabric primer for the first coat, and topping that with standard primer mixed with lightweight spackling compound. The aircraft primer hardens the canvass, and the top coats have the advantages of drying quickly and unlike the traditional filler, being sandable.

rotato

Steelhead
Roger that Phil
sounds like you have it figured out

i just remember doing a canvas job on a lake union dream boat that got crushed in a snowstorm back in the day….

Phil K

AKA Philonius
Forum Supporter
sounds like you have it figured out
Well I’m getting there. What’s impressive to me is my dad doing the last renovation back in the mid eighties before we had YouTube and the Wooden Canoe Heritage forum providing advice at your fingertips. What ever did they DO back then, rely on books??!!!

Phil K

AKA Philonius
Forum Supporter
Oh my, it's been a while. With travel, work, backpacking, etc. progress has been slow. I did reach a minor milestone today; planking repairs completed, old interior varnish scuff sanded, and a first coat of new finish applied over that. Satisfying to see that shiny new (old?) look!IMG_6583.jpeg