Anyone heard of a Gheenoe?

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
I just learned of something called a Gheenoe. Looks like a flatter multi-chine bottom square stern canoe? Seems to have a lot less tippiness and guys stand when fishing a lot. They are based in FL and apparently popular as "micro" flats skiffs? People even put poling platforms on them. So they must be stable enough for that? I dunno, I mean, they still look like a canoe. I'd think fishing/poling from that platform would be an adventure.

1657641703759.png
(image borrowed from microskiff.com)

There seems to be the original company (http://www.gheenoe.net/) that was started by this fellow, and then also a licensee (?) making fancier flats boats versions (https://www.customgheenoe.com/). Most of the popularity seems to be around the LT25 & LT10 Custom Gheenoe Boats versions.

I could see them being an interesting more stable version of a canoe for lakes, but I'm surprised they have gotten popular for saltwater. Here's a bigass "gheenoe clave" (or whatever you call that sort of thing) from last year. And here's a forum community with a lot of Gheenoe convo (lots of flats fly fishing too). That said, I know fuckall about flats fishing. I am a bit surprised they don't seem to be popular for lake bass/trout fishing. But overall people really seem to love these things. I mean, of course you can find people who are crabby about anything if you look. But these seem to have a pretty positive reputation. I'm just not 100% sure I understand "why" that is.

Here's a video with a guy specifically talking about stability:

On the other hand, here's a dude falling out of his:

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
That's a boat that's pretty high on my list for musky fishing. Some day...

Cost a little less than the similar Towee.

Bass-O-Matic

Life of the Party
Fished out of one several times. They definitely can be a killer fit for some situations.

Last time in one was on the Collins River for muskie. Me and my pal added up to 500+ lbs and the guide had to be over 180lbs in a 15 footer. No concerns regarding stability and it offered great maneuverability.

Look how little the boat tilted when he got back in.

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
Fished out of one several times. They definitely can be a killer fit for some situations.

Last time in one was on the Collins River for muskie. Me and my pal added up to 500+ lbs and the guide had to be over 180lbs in a 15 footer. No concerns regarding stability and it offered great maneuverability.

Look how little the boat tilted when he got back in.
Was it one of the original styles with 3 "benches"? Or the fancier "Custom Gheenoe" kind with the front/back decks?

Bass-O-Matic

Life of the Party
Hmmm don't recall three benches. It was an older model that they don't make anymore, hadn't made them for awhile and this trip was maybe 2005. I went back through the guys Facebook post and didn't see a single photo of it. I can shoot him a tx for more info if you like?

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
Hmmm don't recall three benches. It was an older model that they don't make anymore, hadn't made them for awhile and this trip was maybe 2005. I went back through the guys Facebook post and didn't see a single photo of it. I can shoot him a tx for more info if you like?
Nah, no need to go through that much trouble. I appreciate the offer though!

SpeyrodGB

Steelhead
A Nucanoe would be a whole lot cheaper and lighter. The Frontier 12 has a greater load capacity as well. Lots of acces if you wish. The Frontier 12 is pretty stable. Even a fat guy like me can stand up in one. I know because I have one.

krusty

We're on the Road to Nowhere...
Forum Supporter
Sorta reminds me of the old Coleman Scanoes. They worked pretty good.

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
A Nucanoe would be a whole lot cheaper and lighter. The Frontier 12 has a greater load capacity as well. Lots of acces if you wish. The Frontier 12 is pretty stable. Even a fat guy like me can stand up in one. I know because I have one.
I've actually got a Nucanoe Flint myself. But as cool as the Frontier is, you can't put any more than a 2.5hp outboard on there. Some of those Gheenoes are rated for up to 40HP (which seems INSANE). But even a 10hp would scoot you along a lot faster than the Frontier.

SpeyrodGB

Steelhead
I've actually got a Nucanoe Flint myself. But as cool as the Frontier is, you can't put any more than a 2.5hp outboard on there. Some of those Gheenoes are rated for up to 40HP (which seems INSANE). But even a 10hp would scoot you along a lot faster than the Frontier.
There is that. I couldn’t imagine a 40HP on that boat. You could probably out race a bass boat. However if I’m putting an outboard on a boat, I’m sticking with my 14.5 foot Alumacraft. My 25HP does just fine. Moved me around the south sound and tiger fishing quite well.

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter
saw one on a local lake recently, owner was stand-up casting, and later passed me, the minn Kota really moving him.

Bruce Baker

Steelhead
I have heard of it, but really do not know anything about it. I recall someone I follow on Instagram posting about one. I can look for the post to confirm and the give you the screen name.

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
I just learned of something called a Gheenoe. Looks like a flatter multi-chine bottom square stern canoe? Seems to have a lot less tippiness and guys stand when fishing a lot. They are based in FL and apparently popular as "micro" flats skiffs? People even put poling platforms on them. So they must be stable enough for that? I dunno, I mean, they still look like a canoe. I'd think fishing/poling from that platform would be an adventure.

View attachment 22404
(image borrowed from microskiff.com)

There seems to be the original company (http://www.gheenoe.net/) that was started by this fellow, and then also a licensee (?) making fancier flats boats versions (https://www.customgheenoe.com/). Most of the popularity seems to be around the LT25 & LT10 Custom Gheenoe Boats versions.

I could see them being an interesting more stable version of a canoe for lakes, but I'm surprised they have gotten popular for saltwater. Here's a bigass "gheenoe clave" (or whatever you call that sort of thing) from last year. And here's a forum community with a lot of Gheenoe convo (lots of flats fly fishing too). That said, I know fuckall about flats fishing. I am a bit surprised they don't seem to be popular for lake bass/trout fishing. But overall people really seem to love these things. I mean, of course you can find people who are crabby about anything if you look. But these seem to have a pretty positive reputation. I'm just not 100% sure I understand "why" that is.

Here's a video with a guy specifically talking about stability:

On the other hand, here's a dude falling out of his:

A friend of mine guides out of them in Texas for redfish in the salt marshes. He swears by them.