Alaska River Float (Goodnews) Tips and Suggestions

mtskibum16

Life of the Party
My trip is fast approaching. We are doing 7 days on the Goodnews River starting 8/27. I started a thread a while back asking about flies (link) and posts about lines etc and got some good suggestions from @Eastside @BN2FSH @SculpinSwinger @Matt B @O' Clarkii Stomias @Creatch’r among others I'm sure.

Well the gear and flies are pretty much all accounted for, but it dawned on me the other day I have spent no effort in learning about how to actually fish the rivers up there. I have lots of experience with trout fishing rivers in the lower 48 and beach fishing for coho in the PNW, but I have never fished for salmon in rivers or for trout in rivers with heavy salmon populations and it will be my first time fly fishing in AK.

Looking for a crash course on techniques, water to look for various species, etc. Being late August, it's primarily coho time. I believe it's a pink year so perhaps pinks to contend with too. Will the trout be holding and feeding in the same kind of water they do down here plus behind spawning salmon? Will salmon holding water be obvious (visible fish)?

On top of general fishing techniques, I would love any intel specific to the Goodnews and bonus points for late August/early September info.

Appreciate any feedback!

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
I don’t know about the Goodnews, but in all my AK fishing, it’s pretty obvious where to fish for salmon, as they show themselves. Take your time and observe what’s happening and appreciate what a real functioning salmon ecosystem looks like and how it works. I don’t think you’ll have any trouble finding fish and picking out the different species, then adapting approaches to what’s happening. It’s fishing and you’re a fisherman. It’s gonna be great. Alaska is so rad.

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
If you find a pod of happy silvers, and there isn’t a lot of wind on the water, try putting a wog or gurgler over them before anything else. First just a normal swing if you can, then a twitchy one. If the water is slack, try different retrieves but start subtle then get more aggressive.

DimeBrite

Saltwater fly fisherman
Get the fly near the bottom upstream of the coho, then do twitchy retrieves (of different speeds) back upstream until one hammers it. If they are fussy and water is low/clear go with smaller flies. If the water is high and murky go with heavy flies.

Creatch’r

Potential Spam
Forum Supporter
Bring extra forceps and tether them to your waders in some fashion because you will be unhooking a lot of fish lol. Also take care of your fingers and don’t let them get chewed on too much and too early or you will have really painful “salmon fingers” to contend with. I always pinch every barb for this reason. It sounds like a dumb thing to worry about but man I’ve had it really bad before, the bacteria from the teeth will get you especially day in and day out with wet hands all day. Dollies and pinks are the two worst to unhook, they are slimy and spin like crazy when you are trying to pop the hook out. A pair of nitrile gloves help protect you if they get painful at some point or if you get line burn on your stripping finger which can also be a problem.

You’ll know where to fish, you will see it. I like fishing to moving fish when I can they are usually in the best fly water and usually some great biters in the pods. Side channels are also super important habitat. Sometimes where the fish enter is larger then the exit and make perfect little fish traps and you can really light em up in there. Like anywhere in freshwater, sometimes they are suicidal and sometimes they are lockjawed. You’ll know their mood after a bit of fishing to them so if they don’t want to play look for some that will.

You’ll have a great time, I’m sure of that!

HauntedByWaters

Life of the Party
If it is a smaller shallower river, I would not touch a sink tip and instead used weighted flies and micro shot and a single hand rod. I’ve seen too many guys bring Spey rods and sink tips to those smaller northern rivers and it’s simply not the right tool.

mtskibum16

Life of the Party
Bring extra forceps and tether them to your waders in some fashion because you will be unhooking a lot of fish lol. Also take care of your fingers and don’t let them get chewed on too much and too early or you will have really painful “salmon fingers” to contend with. I always pinch every barb for this reason. It sounds like a dumb thing to worry about but man I’ve had it really bad before, the bacteria from the teeth will get you especially day in and day out with wet hands all day. Dollies and pinks are the two worst to unhook, they are slimy and spin like crazy when you are trying to pop the hook out. A pair of nitrile gloves help protect you if they get painful at some point or if you get line burn on your stripping finger which can also be a problem.

You’ll know where to fish, you will see it. I like fishing to moving fish when I can they are usually in the best fly water and usually some great biters in the pods. Side channels are also super important habitat. Sometimes where the fish enter is larger then the exit and make perfect little fish traps and you can really light em up in there. Like anywhere in freshwater, sometimes they are suicidal and sometimes they are lockjawed. You’ll know their mood after a bit of fishing to them so if they don’t want to play look for some that will.

You’ll have a great time, I’m sure of that!
Good tips on keeping hands in good shape. I've heard that a couple times now. I have nitrile gloves, waterproof foam tape, and superglue packed. :) Worth it to just take a set of fishing pliers on the wading belt?

O' Clarkii Stomias

Landlocked Atlantic Salmon
Forum Supporter
Meat and potatoes fishing. To put it into terms of lower 48 fishing, think a blend of early summer fishing of big nymphs, and fall streamer fishing. Silvers can hold in classic riffle, run, and pool, or can be found mulling around in slack water and sloughs. My experience is the fish in slack water are more bitey than others, and in such a situation, they are very competitive. A wog with a pink bugger dropper can yield doubles. Steak and egg fishing for rainbows with no need for indicators, as takes are very pronounced. Heavy fluro tippets and good knots.
My Scott radian 8100 paired with my Hardy St Andrews, and several spools is my kit of choice. Combine with Monic running line , opst commando head and tips, and Airflo rage for single hand spey casting. And spools with Rio predator floating and 3D lines for overhead, and I'm set with confidence.

SculpinSwinger

Grey Ghost
Forum Supporter
The best coho water was the slack water when I went, found them in riffles, but they stacked up in the frog water. Don’t forget to just observe and enjoy the scenery!

mtskibum16

Life of the Party
Looking for them in slack water is a great tip thanks! I've heard that about coho in rivers, but it's not the type of water I'd traditionally think to look for fish in.

NBC

Just Hatched
Forum Supporter
I second the slack water. Some of the best coho fishing I've encountered was in back eddys and frog water that would not normally be considered "fishy" water. Throw on a wog/popper and get to work.

mtskibum16

Life of the Party
The best coho water was the slack water when I went, found them in riffles, but they stacked up in the frog water. Don’t forget to just observe and enjoy the scenery!
Any notable camps or areas of interest along the way worth paying special attention to? Any side trips worth considering?

SculpinSwinger

Grey Ghost
Forum Supporter
We didn’t do any side trips, after about day two you will be on Native land, they have a river keeper that makes sure there are no trespassers above high water.
We camped mainly on gravel bars, first good camp was where a creek comes in on river right, easily reached after being dropped at the lake, inflating rafts, and loading up. 2nd good camp is in the trees again on river right, it was occupied so we pushed on. You will find camps unless the river floods.
Another reminder to grab wood during the day, when you see some pull over and load it on your raft if you want a fire.
Sea run dollies will be in classic swing water, we’ll worth fishing for and should be prevalent.
You will pass the lodge on your last day, they gave us good advice on reaching the pick up point. Excellent coho spot on river left above the lodge, outside bend with a froggy pool.
Sorry I don’t have more detailed information, it has been a few years.
Let’s hear a trip report and see some pictures when you return!

JS

Mankie Old Chum
Forum Supporter
I fished the Goodnews but never got the chance to fish during prime time.

My buddy used to be the head guide for BBL and fished their camp there for a long time. He tied a fly that I think ended up in Northwest Fly Fisherman. I think it was called the Psudo Sculpin? You might be able to find it out there somewhere.

Flesh rules at that time of year, we fished a lot of MOAL flesh flies that were LONG, like 4-5” long, with a bead head.

Good luck, I’m super jealous.

JS

Mankie Old Chum
Forum Supporter
I can’t find it, but it was really similar to a sculipinator tied heavy with palmered bunny. We fished all sorts of sculpin and crushed. Don’t forget the Mr. Hankey! That fly freaking crushed up there. I have one that I saved that is just destroyed from trout teeth.

mtskibum16

Life of the Party
@SculpinSwinger thanks for the details. Interesting about the river keeper. Our outfitter didn't mention anything like that and has notes along the way of places to hike and streams to check out. Now that I'm thinking about it many of them were in the upper half. I'll have to look at that closer. I'll keep the wood thing in mind for sure. Already told the group about that rec. Lastly, at the risk of exposing myself as the salmon/steelhead in river novice that I am, what is "classic swing water?"

@JS seems like I've heard conflicting thoughts on flesh flies and how important they are. I definitely have some but maybe didn't concentrate on them enough. I guess I'll find out. I have a few mondo sizes ones but not many. Maybe I'll take some beads/cones and flesh fly bunny strips for makeshift flies on the river if needed. ha

Reactions: JS

JS

Mankie Old Chum
Forum Supporter
@SculpinSwinger thanks for the details. Interesting about the river keeper. Our outfitter didn't mention anything like that and has notes along the way of places to hike and streams to check out. Now that I'm thinking about it many of them were in the upper half. I'll have to look at that closer. I'll keep the wood thing in mind for sure. Already told the group about that rec. Lastly, at the risk of exposing myself as the salmon/steelhead in river novice that I am, what is "classic swing water?"

@JS seems like I've heard conflicting thoughts on flesh flies and how important they are. I definitely have some but maybe didn't concentrate on them enough. I guess I'll find out. I have a few mondo sizes ones but not many. Maybe I'll take some beads/cones and flesh fly bunny strips for makeshift flies on the river if needed. ha
Sounds like you’ve got it covered!

I wasn’t there in late August/Sept, I was on the Togiak and another creek BBL had the rights to fish. That said, I caught my biggest trout up there (NOT on the Goodnews) on a massive moal flesh fly, but I’d imagine it’s a little different on the G that time of year just due to having slightly less dead salmon decaying in all directions.

Dekartes

Kill Pebble Permanently
Are you going on the main fork or the Kuklatim (Middle) fork? I have done it several times on my own. Are you self guiding this? Lot's of sandbars on the Goodnews. If you are doing this on your own, pick ones that are as high as possible. Some look great, but only have like 6 inches of gradient. I skip those; I don't want to be staring out my tent at night watching the water level rise. I try to camp where there are fish. You'll see what I mean as you go along. Just like here, Rainbows like structure. A good cast into structure is where I have caught most Rainbows. Although with a caveat - they move around in these rivers this time of year and may be keyed on eggs. Other trout will be everywhere. Grayling hang out all over the river, Dollie's too. If you see trout slurping in open water, throw something on the top out. Fun as hell. Coho will be mainly lower. You want to look for good slack water for Coho. Typically you want a heavy fly, like a Salmon sized Llama, that can get down. You see big fish rolling in slack water, there are s $#$# ton of Coho there. Banks with a drop and slow water will hold #@% loads of Coho too. Cast to the very edge and you will pull them off. Seems like the pinks will not hit the meaty flies as much. Sometimes gets annoying if the pinks are hammering your fly when you are trying to catch Coho. Salmon on the move won't be as inclined to hit a fly. Hope you get a good weather window. It really is a crap shoot. Weather this time of year is extremely unpredictable. Running for your life as the sand bar disappears can be a reality. A big rain can bring the water up feet at a time.

The last camping site has a good amount of walkable water that is really fun for Coho and they will be stacked deep there in your timeframe. I can send you Lat/Long's if that helps. It's tidal after that and you are either paddling to a float plane take off, or a boat haul to town. I used to go to town as that is cheaper for a 'do it yourselfer'. After getting stuck there for 5 days and get harassed non stop by the local kids I pay the $$$ to get picked up by a plane on the river now.

I just came off a river in this region. If you want to chat, PM me. May be easier to pass info over the phone. I live in Seattle. You are going to have a great experience!