A hoody that will elevate your next adventure

wanderingrichard

Life of the Party
By the time crude oil refined by products are turned into polyester, I'm not sure they qualify as organic compounds any longer. Man, organic chemistry was so, so long ago! Aren't all carbon based compounds organic?
Once had a seller in a Kuwaiti bazaar try to tell me that the item I was holding had fabric made from the labor of the finest Rayon Worms in the world...😳

Merle

Roy’s cousin
Forum Supporter
Ok Swimmy I just bought one. I think I got color Cays Blue, but it looked more grey in the pic.

I’m 5’9” and about 190 and I got a size L. I’ll let you know how it works out!

Sorry Swimmy, got my new hoodie today and it’s way too tight and constrictive. They’re obviously cut for much slimmer dudes than me! Around the middle is fine but it’s really tight on the shoulders and biceps. I can’t see myself casting all day in it.

I’m bummed because it seems like a super nice quality garment. But I’ll send it back and maybe try an XL.

Andy

rattlesnake

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Sorry Swimmy, got my new hoodie today and it’s way too tight and constrictive. They’re obviously cut for much slimmer dudes than me! Around the middle is fine but it’s really tight on the shoulders and biceps. I can’t see myself casting all day in it.

I’m bummed because it seems like a super nice quality garment. But I’ll send it back and maybe try an XL.

Andy

I thought the same. Im between L and XL in most shirts and I had ordered some XLs and they fit like a smaller L. And free fly says to order up a size since it will shrink.

Funny though I got some of their shorts in XL and they are a little big but damn comfy. Shirts were nice too but I returned them

Long_Rod_Silvers

Elder Millennial
Forum Supporter
Camo is pretty cool. One day I was fishing and wet wading a stream wearing this Aqua Design "Green Bayou" camo shirt and AF tiger stripe ABU trousers.
View attachment 25306
I had exited the stream and was walking the wooded and brushy bank trail to bypass a long, wide pool that was too deep to wade with high banks I could not make a decent presentation into. I walked around a corner in the bank trail where it intersected another trail further away from the stream and an attractive young woman; the only person I saw that day was walking alone towards me. She was about 20 ft away and I immediately stopped. I was hoping she'd notice me before she got much closer because I didn't want to frighten her. I let her take a couple more steps and said "Hello". Her eyes got real wide and she said "You just appeared out of the trees." We wished each other a good day and continued on our separate ways.
Your camo game is strong, but is it next level strong?
Screenshot_20220804-215458_Chrome.jpg

swimmy

An honest tune with a lingering lead

Andy

Bummer. I like the fit (size M) even after a few washes.

Tell you what, for your trouble I'd be happy to send you a slightly used Patagonia hoody. I can't remember which style it is but they are a heavier denier than the cool capilene and they run big. It is a size M but will probably fit ya. It is a great hoody early or late season but a little heavy for summer.

If you want it, pm me your address and I'll fed ex it over next week, free of charge.

Merle

Roy’s cousin
Forum Supporter
Bummer. I like the fit (size M) even after a few washes.

Tell you what, for your trouble I'd be happy to send you a slightly used Patagonia hoody. I can't remember which style it is but they are a heavier denier than the cool capilene and they run big. It is a size M but will probably fit ya. It is a great hoody early or late season but a little heavy for summer.

If you want it, pm me your address and I'll fed ex it over next week, free of charge.
Hey thanks Swimmy, I appreciate the offer but it’s not necessary. Im just gonna swap the free fly one for an XL, I think they offer free return shipping.

Very nice gesture though dude! Thanks

Andy

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
I really like the sun hoody from orvis. I'm 155# but have wide shoulders so did a large. My wife says it looks like a girls PJ's, but really the color is good for sky backgrounds, I'll try the river next. I'll have to see how it wears.
20220807_pjs.jpg

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
I have had my lightweight Patagonia hoody for years. I like the neck button vs strings and the long wrist cuff. Very comfortable under my flannel shirt or just alone. The hood fits comfortable under my hat.
View attachment 26055View attachment 26056
I love my Patagonia hoodies...great fit, great feel, great protection.

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
I'm sure some of you are experienced with these, but since I'm new to them I'm trying them out. I wore a standard shirt for 3 hrs. then the sun hoody for 3 hours. The hoody was cooler, even later in the morning, especially if I could get a puff of wind. I think the regular shirt was better in the pokey brush. I picked up some seed burrs on the regular but not the sun hoody. Not sure if that because I just didn't run into them though. I will need a different color for this river which doesn't have much sky background though, and maybe I'll try another mentioned brand as well. Easy laundering is a must for me.
20220810_shirts.jpg
20220810_tunnel.jpg

Last edited:

Brian Miller

Be vewy vewy quiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout
Forum Supporter
I'm sure some of you are experienced with these, but since I'm new to them I'm trying them out. I wore a standard shirt for 3 hrs. then the sun hoody for 3 hours. The hoody was cooler, even later in the morning, especially if I could get a puff of wind. I think the regular shirt was better in the pokey brush. I picked up some seed burrs on the regular but not the sun hoody. Not sure if that because I just didn't run into them though. I will need a different color for this river which doesn't have much sky background though, and maybe I'll try another mentioned brand as well. Easy laundering is a must for me.
View attachment 27127

View attachment 27128
*Ahhh shucks, discontinued ☹️
Maybe

Last edited:

Phil K

AKA Philonius
Forum Supporter
Well while I was dithering over whether I really “needed” another hoodie, no matter how awesome and buttery soft, they’ve gone on sale. So I ordered two, of course. Trying the Medium fit and hoping for the best as they’re non returnable. I’m 5’ 9” - 5’’10” depending on how much my spine has compressed, and slightly less ripped than Swimmy.

Merle

Roy’s cousin
Forum Supporter
Well while I was dithering over whether I really “needed” another hoodie, no matter how awesome and buttery soft, they’ve gone on sale. So I ordered two, of course. Trying the Medium fit and hoping for the best as they’re non returnable. I’m 5’ 9” - 5’’10” depending on how much my spine has compressed, and slightly less ripped than Swimmy.
Yes, I tried to exchange mine for a larger size and was startled to see it wasn’t eligible for exchange due to being on clearance. So we’ll wash it and hope it shrinks down enough to fit my wife. It is a nice fabric but Caveat Emptor!

Andy

Phil K

AKA Philonius
Forum Supporter
Quickie review: Fit is good, just a bit on the small side for a Medium. I'm right on the cusp between M and L, and often go for the bigger size as being more forgiving. I usually wear a Patagucci hoodie and the FreeFly definitely has a less voluminous hood, but still fits under or over a ball cap just fine.
The fabric is indeed buttery soft and very comfy; time will tell how durable it turns out to be. The most notable difference from similar garments is that (as expected) the Bamboo based fabric dries considerably more slowly than polyester. I can tell it takes longer to air dry after washing, and when it gets wet in the field feels cooler and will stay wet much longer than the full synthetic. I think this shirt will mostly see sunny warm tropical trips and stay home when I may run into more challenging weather.
I'm expecting the Camo pattern to really increase my success rate. :ninja: