A hoody that will elevate your next adventure

JayB

Steelhead
The Lightweight Hoody from Free Fly is nothing short of amazing. Made from a blend of certified organic bamboo and quick dry material, this buttery soft hoody redefines comfort. Colors are great, fit is perfect, and the hood doesn't feel like a grocery bag. Pair with the shorts I recommended a few months back and you can begin to focus on what matters, living the lifestyle of freedom.

Well done Free Fly. Well done.
L8VPdFIT_o.gif

Intermediary_Fishing_1000x500@2x.jpg
What size did you get and what are your rough dimensions?

Brian Miller

Be vewy vewy quiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout
Forum Supporter
I would be willing to bet that is their first and last time on a poling or casting tower. Photo reminds me of the wannabes from Miami who would show up on weekends in The Keys, barefoot in shorts with no shirt but always sporting a new Buff. You know, for sun protection and image is everything.
That chick is dialed
JSDFwlvf_o.gif

Sp22_Collection_Heroes_Water.jpg

If the dude wasn't actually hung up in the weeds, and had a big fish grab his fly the beer would probably get tangled up in the fly line and be all over the deck.
Dialed? 🤣 Why isn't she watching the dude and where his fly is?

Merle

Roy’s cousin
Forum Supporter
Ok Swimmy I just bought one. I think I got color Cays Blue, but it looked more grey in the pic.

I’m 5’9” and about 190 and I got a size L. I’ll let you know how it works out!

BTW my favorite warm weather fishing shirt right now is hands down the Simms Intruder BiComp. I have two and just ordered a third in a color I don’t have (slate grey). I like the elastic cuffs that you can just slide up instead of dicking with rolling them up and buttoning that “retaining strap” like most fishing shirts.

Andy

Last edited:

Brian Miller

Forum Supporter
Camo is pretty cool. One day I was fishing and wet wading a stream wearing this Aqua Design "Green Bayou" camo shirt and AF tiger stripe ABU trousers.
1659236648141.png
I had exited the stream and was walking the wooded and brushy bank trail to bypass a long, wide pool that was too deep to wade with high banks I could not make a decent presentation into. I walked around a corner in the bank trail where it intersected another trail further away from the stream and an attractive young woman; the only person I saw that day was walking alone towards me. She was about 20 ft away and I immediately stopped. I was hoping she'd notice me before she got much closer because I didn't want to frighten her. I let her take a couple more steps and said "Hello". Her eyes got real wide and she said "You just appeared out of the trees." We wished each other a good day and continued on our separate ways.

Last edited:

wanderingrichard

Life of the Party
Have had issues with bamboo fiber clothing shrinking after hand wash and line dry. Usually the arms lose 2-4 inches. What's their guarantee this won't happen.

Snopro

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Up till now the Patagonia Capilene Cool Daily has pretty much been my go-to. I've got like 4 or 5.

This one smokes Patagonia.
For this style of shirt I've been wearing the Patagonia. What do you like better about the bamboo model?

swimmy

An honest tune with a lingering lead
Do you work for Freefly?

No worries, as my wife ordered me 3 new pairs of their shorts because the first two pairs are getting a bit long in the tooth. They are, in my opinion the most comfortable and best shorts I have ever worn. I wear them basically every day June-Oct.

I don't. But I'm going to check out the rest of their line-up based on this post.

What size did you get and what are your rough dimensions?

I'm 5'8 and ripped. Size M

Have had issues with bamboo fiber clothing shrinking after hand wash and line dry. Usually the arms lose 2-4 inches. What's their guarantee this won't happen.

I'm not sure. I haven't spent a ton of time researching the hand wash/line dry warranty on my shirts.

Brian Miller

Forum Supporter
That's true. When you look under the covers there are disadvantages to bamboo fabrics. Shrinkage, and especially uneven shrinkage are problems that I've also experienced with bamboo rayon shirts. FREE FLY's "ABOUT-Our Materials" article mentions the Performance Bamboo fibers are blended with "quick-dry material" that may help stabilize the weave and reduce shrinkage. More from their Help Center - Product Questions articles
Does your bamboo material blend shrink?
Shrinkage can be normal for bamboo depending on the material blend.
If the product shrinks, we make a note of it in a fit tip (above where you click "add to cart") and also on the product's hang tags. If you are in between sizes, we recommend going with the larger size and ensuring the gear feels nice and loose when trying on.
If the product does not shrink, we recommend going with your normal size.
Questions on sizing? Check out the article here for more information on sizing.

I also noted that their "lightweight" hoodies are (only) 20+SPF which is pretty thin (180 GSM) so I wonder about durability-abrasion resistance.

I'm not sure. I haven't spent a ton of time researching the hand wash/line dry warranty on my shirts.
Help Center - Product Questions
Wash Cold
Once you have the right fit and you're ready to wash, turn your garment inside out and machine wash cold on the delicate cycle with like colors. This gear can hang for all your activities but it needs a gentle touch when washed. Keep it soft by avoiding washing with heavy items such as jeans and towels. Do NOT use fabric softener on our bamboo tops - it can sadly discolor the fabric depending on the brand.
Hang Dry
After you wash it, hang it to dry. It's quick dry so it'll dry fast. If hang drying isn't your thing, tumble dry inside out on delicate, low heat. Avoid drying with heavier, rough items. This will keep your garment looking good AND reduce your energy use. We love those win-wins!

It takes jumping through a hoop but they do offer a rather substantial 30% discount for active duty, veterans, retirees of the U.S. military including the National Guard, first responders, and their immediate families. 🤔 They have a "luxe weight" camo hoodie on closeout sale. If the military discount is available for that product it may be worth my time to call or chat and verify shrinkage, recommended sizing, and the discount.

Last edited:

Sam Roffe

If a man ain't fishing...
Forum Supporter
I actually been thinking about a lightweight hoody. I don't want my face, ears, and neck to be cut up removing skin cancer. Although, my sun exposure up till now might result in the above fore mentioned procedures.

Thanks for the PSA their Swimmy