NFR 2022 Baseball Thread

Non-fishing related

cedarslug

Steelhead
Incredible game last night. I tuned in at the 6th inning after putting the kid to bed, and had a hard time not hollering during extra innings. Castillo pitched so well, and the whole bullpen crushed it. Munoz, Sewald, Festa and Brash were ice cold.

Shout out to the umpire - check out his scoresheet

1660160474084.png

Shad

Life of the Party
Incredible game last night. I tuned in at the 6th inning after putting the kid to bed, and had a hard time not hollering during extra innings. Castillo pitched so well, and the whole bullpen crushed it. Munoz, Sewald, Festa and Brash were ice cold.

Shout out to the umpire - check out his scoresheet

View attachment 27082
Ramon can stay and program the robots to call 'em like he does! The rest of those blind, belligerent old farts can go home and make way for the Strikeometron. Not saying I could do it any better... more an acknowledgement that machines do a better job of tracking fast-moving objects than any human can, so why not remove the bad call factor from the pitching/batting game?

albula

We are all Bozos on this bus
Forum Supporter
Good article in the 8/24 Washington Post about the M's President of Business Operations whose duties include being a 40 year old mother of 2.

Last edited:

DimeBrite

Saltwater fly fisherman
20220826_093808.jpg

Perfect time for a Mariners swoon/choke/faceplant.

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
I like him, but I hope this deals fail miserably for the Mariners.
SF

Gyrfalcon22

Life of the Party
If they package the deal w/firing Rizz and Sims I might begin to be on board. Since when do rookies get a long deal? Seems the Mariners are going all in on this one. Heck, they can just trade him to the Dodgers or Yankees down the road in a few years and eat most of the salary?

I do like big contracts that have performance clauses. Besides, they could always slip some PED's into him and void big chunks of contract?

Too much to think about. I have not watched him play one inning so I guess will not watch and see.. Guess they were hellbent on making a star out of somebody.

Last edited:

Dr. Magill

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
It’s a hollow commitment to this young man. He should be thinking about how it probably will play out

Gary Knowels

Hack of all trades
Forum Supporter
Since when do rookies get a long deal?
It's becoming more common, especially the last 3-4 years. It makes sense for the organization and the player in many cases. In this case the Mariners get a player below market value for the next 7 years and Julio is guaranteed generational wealth. After that time there are player and club options that have flexible salaries dependant on how Julio performs over those 7 years. He's already the face of the franchise and if he duplicates this year's performance next year (we can reasonably expect improvement though as the average position player peaks at 27-30) he'll be a superstar, one of the 10 most marketable players in the league. This is a win-win-win-win situation.

Gyrfalcon22

Life of the Party
It's becoming more common, especially the last 3-4 years. It makes sense for the organization and the player in many cases. In this case the Mariners get a player below market value for the next 7 years and Julio is guaranteed generational wealth. After that time there are player and club options that have flexible salaries dependant on how Julio performs over those 7 years. He's already the face of the franchise and if he duplicates this year's performance next year (we can reasonably expect improvement though as the average position player peaks at 27-30) he'll be a superstar, one of the 10 most marketable players in the league. This is a win-win-win-win situation.
I'm up for it. Mariners can't suck forever. They need some good young players. I enjoy watching AAA in Tacoma so a better major league team means better talent holding and waiting in the PCL. That is a win-win for me.

Gary Knowels

Hack of all trades
Forum Supporter
I'm up for it. Mariners can't suck forever. They need some good young players. I enjoy watching AAA in Tacoma so a better major league team means better talent holding and waiting in the PCL. That is a win-win for me.
We go to several Rainiers games each year. I should go more as we live in walking distance. With how Dipoto rebuild the organization, they should have a good deal of talent for years to come.