NFR 2022 Baseball Thread

Non-fishing related

Old Man

Just a useless Old Man.
Forum Legend
If Seattle can't beat the leaders in the American League, making the playoffs is a moot point. Houston kicked their ass and it looks like the Yankee's will do the same. It might be a soft schedule after the Yankees but they still have to beat the teams they play. Lately they have trouble hitting the ball.

Long_Rod_Silvers

Elder Millennial
Forum Supporter
If Seattle can't beat the leaders in the American League, making the playoffs is a moot point.
The braves were 44-45 at the all star break last year. They weren't beating the best teams in the league. They made some great deals at the all star break and got hot to end the year.

When the Nats won in '19 they were 6 games back in their division at the all star break. Again, got hot to end the year and won it all.

Point being, you're right, bats are struggling right now (last couple games) and it's painful to watch them get beat up by the Astros and Yankees..... But they are playing down their two all stars right now and are getting the previous years rookie of the year healthy (he hit a HR yesterday) and getting the previous years team MVP back healthy soon. Plus getting their two all stars from this year back healthy in the next week or two. The lineup will look much different in two weeks than it does today. And they just added one of (if not the) best pitcher available via trade.

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Soto to the Padres.
Interesting that the Orioles who have sucked for years just like the Mariners are seller, being only a few games out of the wildcard race.

NFL pre-season starts on Thursday.
SF

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
Forum Supporter
If Seattle can't beat the leaders in the American League, making the playoffs is a moot point. Houston kicked their ass and it looks like the Yankee's will do the same. It might be a soft schedule after the Yankees but they still have to beat the teams they play. Lately they have trouble hitting the ball.
Yeah...I don't even know why they bother to play. MLB should just be around four teams.

Mossback

Fear My Powerful Emojis 😆
Forum Supporter
Four teams, a big bucket of steroids, and some corked bats...

Baseball the way it used to be...

Gyrfalcon22

Life of the Party
Vin Scully was a great one ! I feel for @iveofione as I know he has mentioned his like of him.
I was at a Dodgers home game 50 years ago as a kid in 1972 during Roberto Clemente's last year with the Pirates.. and his life. He died at 38 that Winter on a relief mission to his native Puerto Rico. Great to know Scully was calling the game even that far back.

Was not even early career stuff for the great announcer.

RIP

Last edited:

Canuck from Kansas

Aimlessly wondering through life
Forum Supporter
Vin Scully was one of the greats, though I was never a huge fan, perhaps it's my hatred of the LA Dodgers (liked them as Brooklyn, though that was before my time, but Montreal was their farm team and they brought up #42). Sometimes thought he reached a little far for Shakespearean references, but compared with most of today's, head and shoulders. RIP Mr Scully.

Salmo_g

Legend
Forum Supporter
If the Mariners turn out to be way better than their typical farm team, my understanding of the universe may implode.

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
Forum Supporter
Unless you are one of the top four teams or so in payroll you are basically hoping to catch lightening in a bottle with players the rich teams don't have room for. Sooner or later the odds will catch up to you.

Canuck from Kansas

Aimlessly wondering through life
Forum Supporter
Unless you are one of the top four teams or so in payroll you are basically hoping to catch lightening in a bottle with players the rich teams don't have room for. Sooner or later the odds will catch up to you.

See Kansas City Royals back to back WS appearances (2014 and 2015) and WS championship (2015) - lighting in a bottle 2 years in a row. Looking forward to 2024 when they will hit it again with their current great young prospects!!

Cheers

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
Forum Supporter
See Kansas City Royals back to back WS appearances (2014 and 2015) and WS championship (2015) - lighting in a bottle 2 years in a row. Looking forward to 2024 when they will hit it again with their current great young prospects!!

Cheers
You never hear the term "awesome mediocre prospects"