Search results

1. Coach Potter

Idaho Spring Bear

Just got home from our first trip. We knew we were early so we didn’t do the “big one” for our first trip. We did 4 nights and 5 days…wishing we would have done the full meal deal on this one. We got lucky and T-boned the emergence of some really big boars. We didn’t end coming out with one. We...
  2. Coach Potter

N. Idaho

The kid and I were able to steal another day this week. It doesn’t happen near enough but it’s so awesome when it does. We caught the first really good hatch of the year. We also had my childhood best friend with us. That’s 2 trips in less than a month with two of my all time favorite people to...
  3. Coach Potter

Memory Lane

My oldest boy is home for spring break and I had the opportunity to take him to the little creek where I learned how to fish. I haven’t been there in a decade or more. It was so cool to show him one of my favorite places on earth. The fishing was really tough and the weather made it even more...
  4. Coach Potter

Christmas Break

Stealing a few days before the kid has to go back to school.
  5. Coach Potter

My first Elk

As a football coach and archer, I never really had the opportunity to hunt elk while being a WA resident. When we moved to ID in 21 their regulations opened a small window for me to hunt elk while still coaching. The first two seasons it didn't pan out for me to go but a 4-day window opened up...
  6. Coach Potter

Unplanned Fishing

Football started for us Monday…we play our opener this Friday so we were scheduled to go 11 straight days. Yesterday we were told we would get today off so my wife and I decided to spend our last free summer day lounging on the river. I didn’t plan to fish but I always have my gear in the Jeep...
  7. Coach Potter

Bears

I took a young dude out for his first bear hunt last week on the WA opener. He got a shot but we were unsuccessful in bringing one home. It was nice to get a little fix before the mayhem of football season starting.
  8. Coach Potter

N. Idaho

I was on the river twice this week...one guide trip and a casual float with my wife. The river is still cold but flowing at levels we would expect to see in a few weeks from now. Currently, there are very few bugs hatching. Terrestrials are starting to show up and we should be seeing caddis pop...
  9. Coach Potter

N. Idaho

I fished Thursday, Friday, and Sunday this week. The fishing continues to be spectacular! Thursday I did a guide trip for a father and (adult) son from Orange County CA. They had never fished this part of the county and were amazed by its beauty…the fish were eager to eat. I always give my best...
  10. Coach Potter

N. Idaho

The kid‘s home from school and we got out yesterday…it was awesome!
  11. Coach Potter

Spring Bear

I'm headed into the Frank Church with a buddy tomorrow. We're only going to spend a few nights. The snow conditions aren't favorable but we're going to give it a shot anyway. We were originally planning on a week but in light of the conditions we're postponing the big trip until May. I'm at that...
  12. Coach Potter

N. Idaho (first guide trip of the year)

I had a super nice dude from the bay area who was in town to watch his son pitch against Gonzaga over the weekend. When he called to book (Friday) the weather was awful and forecasted to be worse on Saturday (which it turned out to be) but this guy would not be dissuaded. It was cold, windy, and...
  13. Coach Potter

N. Idaho....Again

I was able to get back out on Sunday. I started the day the same as I did on Friday...looking for new or different water than the two or three wintering areas that I have been fishing the last month. The first stretch looked good and I did hook one really big fish (got it close but lost it)...
  14. Coach Potter

N. Idaho

It became winter agin this week. We went from Skwala and March Brown hatches back to midges in 5 days😂. I didn’t have my photographer with me today so I only have a single fish pic but the fishing was fairly good. I had to get into my small box today but I found plenty of fish willing to eat a...
  15. Coach Potter

March Brown Madness

I had the rare opportunity to spend a day on the water with one of my boy’s. I LOVE fishing with him…I love doing almost anything with him but we’ve always loved fishing and hunting together. Time is hard to come by when they head off to college. It was one of those days that don’t happen often...
  16. Coach Potter

N. Idaho

I struggled to get bit today. I wasn’t able to get a shuttle organized so I was bank bound. The fish were few and far between but I did catch a good one and another one that had really cool coloring.
  17. Coach Potter

N. Idaho

I was able to get out for a few hours yesterday. The fishing was fairly tough for me. I caught a couple decent fish but there were long cold gaps between them😂. I got to spend the day with a buddy who hadn’t been on the water with a fly rod in several years and that was cool.
  18. Coach Potter

Last Fish of 2022

I caught my first fish of 2022 in February last year…the fish below. I caught my last fish of the year in the exact same run…..
  19. Coach Potter

It’s Really Piling Up….

These are trail camera pics from one of my spots. The 2 sawed off trees are about 5’ tall where they have been cut for a shooting lane. The first pic is from Nov. 30th. The second pic is from Dec. 10th.
  20. Coach Potter

Season Opener in Missoula

We open up our football season this Friday night at the University of Montana. I only live 2 hours away and I don't have to be at the stadium until 2:00 pm...JV plays at 4:00. I'm thinking I leave my place at 4:00 am (I lose an hour when I cross the border) and that will give 4-5 solid hours of...