Search results

1. DFG

Fishing the John Day

I'm planning a 3-day float of the John Day from Service Creek to Clareno in mid-May. I'll be going with folks who know the river, but not fly fishing. Is this section strictly a bass fishery, or should I plan for trout as well? What's the go-to fly setup? Is a 6-wt the right rod? Any insight...
  2. DFG

Wanted Fast Action3-Wt

I'm looking for a fast action 3-wt rod. My old Sage Launch broke, and the Echo I replaced it with seems way too soft/slow. Please PM me if you have one for sale.
  3. DFG

Raft Anchor Questions

Several years ago I moved to Hood River. Instead of fishing the Yakima, where I used a 45# chain anchor, I now spend most of my float time on the Deschutes. I'd love to find something lighter that will hold as well, if not better. I like the looks of the Tornado and suspect that my 14' raft...
  4. DFG

SFR Fishing in the San Juan Islands

I'm planning to cruise the San Juans on a large power boat in early August. What do folks fish for in the waters around them, and how do they do it? As a fly (sport) fisher I don't know much about food fishing in the salt.
  5. DFG

Deschutes in Late May

For everyone except that one person in the entire PNW that's never been there or fished it, a report like this might be construed hotspotting. In truth, the salmonfly hatch on the Deschutes in May isn't much of a secret. This year was one for the records! The hot weather that spiked the flows...
  6. DFG

NFR Roof Rack Suggestions

I'm looking for suggestions for roof racks that mount to (pre-installed) t-tracks.
  7. DFG

WTF? (Deschutes March Brown hatch)

I recently fished the Deschutes during a pretty big March Brown hatch with little success. Despite the number of naturals floating by, the fish weren't interested. I tried again a few days later. The hatch was much lighter, but still no takers. I did see a few good-sized 'bows breaching like...
  8. DFG

Fly Fishing Film Festival - Hood River

Wednesday evening, 2 showings 5:00 and 7:00 (Please verify this on their website) at Andrew's Pizza, Hood River.
  9. DFG

How do you handle keys when shuttling your vehicle?

I just bought a new Tacoma and am debating the best way to deal with the key when leaving my truck for a shuttle driver. The most secure option I can think of is a lock box, similar to those used be real estate folks. I'm not too hot on simply hiding the key (under the gas cap, on top of a...
  10. DFG

SFR SFR - Recommendations for Limited Van Conversions

I'm looking for suggestions on vans and limited van conversions. I'm now about a month away from my retirements date (!) and thinking seriously about buying a van for limited conversion. I fell down a YouTube rabbit hole on conversion vans the other night, and saw lots of interesting examples...
  11. DFG

Deschutes - More fisher folk than salmon flies

This week on the Deschutes I learned that fishing has become a strategic sport. Not in regard to reading water, fly selection, or line management in wind or current, but in negotiating crowds. Unfortunately, the number of guided groups seemed a lot thicker than the bugs this year, and it was...
  12. DFG

Metolius Advice?

I'm headed to wade the Metolius next week for the first time, and looking for some advice on where to start. I've hiked the trail near the upstream end before, but never driven there specifically to fish. This is NOT a request for hotspot info - just a starting place where I drive, park, and...
  13. DFG

SFR Strangest Thing

I did my annual springtime maintenance on my raft this morning. I pulled the frame out, cleaned and treated the raft with protectant, reassembled it... When I put the cover back on it didn't fit right. How the hell does that happen? Either the raft got bigger (I did top off the air in the...
  14. DFG

Troll or Not a Troll?

I posted a WTB listing on WFF and got a hit from someone who seems new to the forum (8 posts since joining about a year ago). My own efforts a due diligence can only go so far. The big question is how to tell if this person is real or a scammer. Any suggestions for proceeding with open eyes?
  15. DFG

Wanted Dry Boxes for StreamTech Salmonfly Raft

Longshot, I know... I'm looking for dry boxes fabricated to fit the frame of a Stream Tech salmonfly raft.
  16. DFG

Wanted: Dry Boxes Fabricated to fit Streamtesh Salmonfly Raft Frame

This may be a VERY long shot... I'm interested in buying the two large dry boxes (forward and rear) made to fit the Streamtech Salmonfly raft frame. Please PM me if you have info on these.