Search results

1. S

North Fork Stillaguamish and the loss of its "bugs"

Over the decades my causal observation is that the diversity and density of various hatches (stonefly, caddis and mayflies) have changed dramatically. Currently the only "hatches" that I see somewhat regularly (though at depressed densities) are October caddis and BWO. I suspect that a...
  2. S

2024 NOF

I see the 2024 Puget Sound salmon forecasts have been posted on WDFW's NOF web site. A couple quick observations. The PS total coho forecast is down from 2023 (720,000 versus 780,000 - remember 2023 fish returned well above forecast). For key wild stocks the Stillaguamish wild forecasts are...
  3. S

NOF policy

Just a reminder that WDFW commission is seeking comments on its NOF policy (C-3608). Comments are due 1/15/2024. For those that take the time thank you! Curt
  4. S

Snohomish and Stillaguamish Chinook take another hit

The flooding today (12/5) are at levels in the Snohomish and Stillaguamish basin are at levels that will result reductions in the Chinook, pink and chum egg survivals. Chinook egg survival maybe taking as much as a 75% survival hits. Damn! curt
  5. S

How "Humpy" PS populations have changed.

Pretty clear that 2023 has developed into another great pink year. For those of us that track pink abundances the 2000s are dramatically better than the previous 50 years. As interesting as the shift in abundance is the shift in distribution. Based on historic abundances escapement goals...
  6. S

Game on?

I see on WDFW Puget Sound creel reports for MA 10 that 4 pinks were landed with those resident coho in the last week. Seems likely they like the coho have opted to resident in PS rather than migrate to the ocean. Curt
  7. S

New Opportunity?

Have been getting reports of American Shad becoming established in Lake Washington. Maybe suspending a small chironomid (50 feet?). Sounds like it might be right up Ira's alley -LOL. The new "quality fishery"? Curt
  8. S

2023-2024 WDFW Hunting Regulation Proposals are out.

The next season's hunting regulations are out -WDFW Feb 13 news release detail the process for comments with the comment period ending 3/27 when there is a "public meeting". I encourage those of us that hunt to review those proposals. There is a link to the all the public comments received, I...
  9. S

Bird flu

Bird flu seems to be spreading through north Puget Sound waterfowl. Recently the media reports that 400 geese had died at Wiser Lake (Whatcom County north of Bellingham) some of which tested positive for bird flu. Every day more and more "sick" snow geese are showing up on Fir Island (Skagit...
  10. S

Waterfowl 2022

As our long term tradition my son and I along with a friend took part in the opening day of the waterfowl season. Our choice was targeting snow geese (one of the climate change winners). Hit the field shortly after 5 AM to put out our decoy spread and were ready for action before shooting...
  11. S

My river is cooking!

Tomorrow the first of September the main Stillaguamish will re-open for game fish since closing the end of January. By early September the sea-run cutthroat is typically very good, and I was hoping to be able to hit a spot or two and hopefully catch a few of those wonderful fish. While...