Recent content by DFG

1. DFG

Fishing the John Day

Both the river and bass fishing on the fly will be new territory for me!
  2. DFG

Fishing the John Day

I'm planning a 3-day float of the John Day from Service Creek to Clareno in mid-May. I'll be going with folks who know the river, but not fly fishing. Is this section strictly a bass fishery, or should I plan for trout as well? What's the go-to fly setup? Is a 6-wt the right rod? Any insight...
  3. DFG

Wanted Fast Action3-Wt

I'm looking for a fast action 3-wt rod. My old Sage Launch broke, and the Echo I replaced it with seems way too soft/slow. Please PM me if you have one for sale.
  4. DFG

Caught in the middle…

I had a few hard lessons about wearing boots that needed to be several sizes too large just so that I could get the width that I needed. They were like clown shoes. I never really learned to compensate for the extra length, costing me more than one stepped-on rod. Don't make the same mistake...
  5. DFG

6 wt trout Spey?

I bought a 3-wt trout spey and was told that it was equivalent to a 6-wt in a single hand rod. I really enjoy it, and found that it worked really well as a single handed rod using a standard 6 WF line, giving credence to the equivalency. (It seems absurd to label it one thing, and claim it to be...
  6. DFG

NFR idiot drivers...

Back in '81 when I first moved to Seattle I came to pick up a friend who had been stranded when the Metro bus he'd been riding stopped to await a chain-up crew. (Around 2" of snow had fallen.) My friend had offered to treat me to an Irish coffee for my troubles, and we were comfortably seated at...
  7. DFG

What have you done for your boat lately?

I have an old snow machine trailer that i use to carry my raft. I recently replaced the aged tongue with one that is 3' longer, fixed the tilt mechanism and replaced the old ball seat with a new 2" one. Now I have to learn how to back it all over again! Compared to the short tongue version...
  8. DFG

NFR Humor

Give a man a fish... Teach a man to fly fish and he'll be frustrated forever.
  9. DFG

NFR What Are You Reading

Have you watched Slow Horses? Mick Herron (the author upon whose work the show is based) is the only contemporary heir apparent to Le Carre. The books are great, too.
  10. DFG

NFR What Are You Reading

You can watch the entire BBC series Tinker Tailor and then Smiley's People (both with Alec Guinness) on YouTube. The sound quality isn't stellar, but the story and acting are, and much like the books they have a real ring of truth. The more recent remake of Tinker Tailor is also great!
  11. DFG

New Video: Horse packing, backpacking, and Fly Fishing

That was beautifully done; really moving! Thanks for sharing it.
  12. DFG

NFR What Are You Reading

In the same vein as John Scalzi I've been reading Neal Stephenson. Absolutely great sci fi!
  13. DFG

NFR Humor

Later than night he lays in bed wondering if there is a dog.
  14. DFG

Contemplating a Tacoma outfit…

Just make sure that it's really easy to get in and out... otherwise you'll be living with it all the time. Also - there are a million websites that advertise stuff made specifically for Tacomas. (I hadn't realized that it was a thing. Taco world, Tacoma life...)
  15. DFG

NFR What Are You Reading

I've just finished everything that I could get my hands on by John Scalzi. He writes sci-fi that is clever, funny and thoroughly enjoyable! I look forward to forgetting them so I can read them again!